Welcome to Girardville
Girardville – best known as home to the infamous Molly Maguires – is located along PA Route 54 in the Upper Schuylkill Region, and serves as an important link among our local communities.
The borough was named after mariner, merchant and philanthropist Stephen Girard, who in 1830 purchased the acreage that would eventually become Girardville from heirs of Pennsylvania founder William Penn.
Girardville connection to the Molly Maguires – the secret society of rebel Irish miners who occasionally used violence against corrupt anthracite coal companies in the 19th century to protest labor injustice – can be explored today at the village’s historic Hibernian House in the Wayne Hotel, which features the door to the prison cell that confined some of the Mollies during the trial that eventually resulted in the public hanging of 10 members of the radical group on June 21, 1877, a day remembered as “The Day of the Rope.”
The Wayne Hotel was owned by “The King of the Mollies” John Black Jack ” Kehoe – portrayed by Sean Connery in the 1970 major motion picture The Molly Maguires. Descendants of Kehoe operate the hotel and pub today and welcome an opportunity to interpret their family history to patrons and visitors.
Girardville celebrates its Irish heritage each Saint Patrick’s Day with a festive parade that brings thousands of visitors to the village streets to enjoy the colorful sights and sounds of bagpipers, community groups, and high school bands.
Visitors will enjoy a tour of Girardville’s Molly Maguire territory, and a curbside seat at one of our region’s most fun-filled events.
Girardville Borough Hall
- 4th and “B” Streets
Girardville, PA 17935
- Larry Kachelries, Mayor
- Charles Marquardt, Council President
Elementary, Secondary and Special Education
- North Schuylkill Schuylkill District
- Cardinal Brennan High School
- Trinity Academy at the Father Walter J. Ciszek Education Center (K-6)
- Schuylkill Intermediate Unit #29
- St. Joseph’s Center for Special Learning
Girardville Annual Community Events
- St. Patrick’s Day Weekend
- “The Clover Classic” Golf Event – Friday
- “Jack Kehoe Division” Ancient Order of Hibernians “St. Patrick’s Parade” – Saturday
- Girardville PRIDE “Lucky Duck Derby” – Sunday
- The Rainbow’s End “Classic Car Show” – Sunday
- Girardville Main Street “Make Over Weekend” – Saturday
- Memorial Day Weekend
- American Legion “Veteran’s Parade” – Memorial Day
- “Pioneer Day” – 3rd Saturday in August at Pioneer Tunnel/Higher-ups Park in Ashland
- Girardville PRIDE “Top of the Mornin” – Upper Schuylkill Homecoming – 1st Sunday September
- Girardville PRIDE “Neighborhood Day” – 2nd Sunday September
- Girardville PRIDE “Halloween Decorating Contest” – 4th Friday October
- Girardville PRIDE “Christmas Tree Lighting” – Thanksgiving Day
- Girardville PRIDE “Christmas Cookie Baking Contest” and “Holiday Decorating Contest” – 3rd Sunday December
- New Life Community Church “Horse and Trolley Caroling” – 3rd Sunday December